Here are the Top 10 Arizona pronghorn units for 2016:
1. Unit 19B - Although down about 7% from last year it should still produce a few giant bucks. Access remains a big issue.
2. Unit 19A - Up 18% from last year. I'm hoping 19A can have at least one more banner year before it's too late. The numbers are about half of what they need to be to support it, but maybe it can be this year.
3. Unit 10 - After 5 horrible years (2010-2014) Unit 10 finally produced a bunch of giant bucks again. It's up 24% from last year so 2016 could be another great year for the unit. Big Bo access is ever changing so keep your ears open for any news that might change things.
4. Unit 8 - I knew a lot of people who had unit 8 tags last year and most of them didn't seem to find very many good bucks. This is always the risk with this unit though because of the dense forest. Down 9% from last year. I wouldn't apply here but that's because I prefer to hunt my antelope in the antelope country and not the elk country.
5. Unit 7 - Up 18% from last year. I didn't hear much about the unit last year except for a couple good bucks. Also, the entire area north of the Wupatki is closed so that puts a damper on things.
6. Unit 4A - This unit had a lot of young bucks in it and good numbers. At the end of the hunt all the big bucks were dead, but if the young ones grow up it could be a good area this year. Down 19% from last year.
7. Unit 5B - Down 6% from last year. We killed one of the auction bucks in this unit. There were several other really big bucks killed.
8. Unit 9 - Not only is unit 9 up 21% from last year, it's also at a 14 year high. I don't know if that means anything, but I did see a lot of young bucks while scouting last year. Hopefully a few of them made it through the rifle hunt.
9. Unit 21 - I have no idea how this unit keeps showing up on my lists. But, similar to unit 9, it's at it's 2nd highest in 14 years and up 6% from last year. I wouldn't recommend it, but who knows, maybe it'll produce a few big bucks one of these years.
10. Unit 4B - Up 6% from last year. We don't usually scout 4B so I'm not that familiar with it.
Good luck in draws in 2016!